11 Oct The Joy Of Giving!
In all the years of growing up and survival, I have been using Joy and Happiness as synonyms.
But recently I came across some writings aligned with some personal experiences and discovered that these two are not interchangeable words.
You can feel unhappy but still, feel joy through your actions because your action is in alignment to your values.
‘Happiness’ is an emotion which is transient in nature while ‘Joy’ is a strong feeling that is more of a permanent state of mind.
‘Receiving’ gives you Happiness while ‘Giving’ gives you – ‘The Joy of Giving.’
In the words of Winston S. Churchill – “We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.”
Being able to give is a privilege and not a favour or a duty. When you give monthly wages to the house help even when she is not working at your house during these times of pandemic, you are privileged that your livelihood is not affected and you are in a position to give.
While we associate giving with helping NGOs and underprivileged, it should not be limited to donations or giving alms.
It can be:
- Giving Time to the people who actually matter – grandparents, parents, children, partner, relatives with whom you had misunderstandings, long lost friends, someone going through difficult times.
- Giving a small Token of appreciation or remembrance just to show that you care.
- Giving Attention to those you have always taken for granted – helping staff, assistants; by just asking ‘How are you?’
- Giving a Smile to someone in the lift, parking or while starting a conference call.
- Giving Benefit of Doubt to people around you.
And as said by Albert Einstein, “It is every man’s obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it.”
Happy Giving!! 🙂
ChetnaPosted at 08:37h, 11 October
That’s so true ❤️
Jagriti ChhabraPosted at 04:13h, 13 October
Thanks:). I hope the world gets more people who are able and willing to give what they have, not necessarily in abundance.
JasminePosted at 07:08h, 26 October
Rightly said dear
Get more joy after giving joy to others
Jagriti ChhabraPosted at 11:06h, 28 October
Indeed dear. Thank You.