21 Aug 7 Stress-Busters for Everyday of The Week!
It is Monsoon season and it always brings along some memories, the refreshing fragrance of wet soil and lush greens all around. But we are not able to enjoy this romantic season this time.
Since the kids have started going to school, they have been falling sick, one after the other, one more than the other. We are stressed. It’s Monsoon and it is either flood or drought. We are stressed. The covid numbers seem to be on a rise. We are stressed. The neighbor is still getting to work from home while we have to rush to the office every single day. We are stressed. The clothes did not dry because it is raining. We are stressed.
It is a vicious circle. Stress causes more stress and then the mental and physical problems and then more stress. Sounds weird but real.
So basically, what we need is ways to bust this stress, all the time, every day of the week.
So take a step away from this stress and see from a distance. #breakthechain
Whether it is an age-old antidote or new age therapy, here are 7 much-needed ‘stress busters’ for a short break from this monster called Stress that can only be felt, not seen, (and a Bonus one):
1. Light a ‘Ghee ka Diya’ and sit with it. When elders say light a Ghee ka Diya every day, there is a science behind this. It wards off negativity. When the heart is weighing down with anxiousness, negativity and paranoia, try lighting a little ghee ka Diya and sit down watching its glow for a minute. It is a form of meditation. Unconsciously, at that moment one feels the eyes concentrating only on the light, the mind trying to focus, the brightness getting inside you and dissipating darkness. We notice the change in the mental state within a couple of minutes, all we need to do is light the Diya and sit with it for a while. It is pure energy play in action.
2. Another way I have tried a couple of times – Single Nostril Breathing. The Right Nostril signifies ‘Surya’ or Sun while the Left nostril signifies ‘Chandra’ or Moon. So the energy is likewise, if you are feeling anxious or stressed and need to cool down or focus on the creative side of your being, slowly start breathing only through the left nostril. Take 10-15 deep breaths. The calmness dawns gradually. If not solving the problem, this will give the time and peace to figure out a solution or maybe the mental state to let it be for a while.
3. Write down the emotions in a journal– Tried and tested, I am an ardent fan of this one. When the going gets tough, it has to move out from the system anyhow. So I take it out on a piece of paper, with all the frustration and dramatic words (Bonus – No one is offended), take a deep breath, read it out loud and (re-read it till it stops annoying) then tear it out into pieces. Bacchhon wali baat hai? Karke dekho yaar.
4. Avoid Social Media intentionally or restrict the use of the same for at least a couple of days. Mindless scrolling down the reels and suddenly you realize you have wasted an (or more) hour of your precious time adds to the stress, especially if you have been feeling 24 hrs is a little too less for your day. Just take a break.
5. Practice Mindfulness. The simple practice of being fully present at the moment and focussing on what you are feeling instead of getting overwhelmed by the next thing you have to do or the never-ending ‘to-do’ list. This one calls for a full-fledged post which I am trying to work on. I am still practicing putting my mind on NOW because my mind has been wandering more than me since I became a Mom and now a Mom of Two. It’s overwhelming.
6. A walk in the Rain– No raincoat, No umbrella. Do this while you still can, monsoon is here. This works like magic. It washes away worries and soothes from within.
Disclaimer: Try only if you have strong immunity and provision for a hot cuppa after the walk.
7. Clear up or clean up a corner of the House or Office. De-cluttering and arranging, even a small shelf or a drawer, untangles the mental wires to avoid a short-circuit. It is therapeutic.
8. Take a short nap. Sleep works wonders for a tired and agonized mind – even a few minutes nap can spell magic.
Go ahead and snatch those rejuvenating 20 min for yourself every day of the week.
Have more ideas to share? Please tell us in the comments and help us fellow stressed-out beings.